This intergenerational dialogue focused on the origins, main features and current political challenges of the International Civil Service (ICS). The dialogue will build-up on the recently published book Eric Drummond and His Legacies. The League of Nations and the Beginnings of Global Governance, by David Macfadyen, Michael D.V.Davies, Marylin Norah Carr and John Burley, Univ. of Southampton, Palgrave Macmillan, 2019
- What is an international civil servant?
- Neutrality? Yes, but it does not mean being silent: the ICS can take a stand.
- Political appointees: the enemies of the ICS independence
- What sort of leadership of the secretary-general and the ICS: not a secretary, not a general, but anyway an impossible job.
- Endemic financial crises: a good way to curtail ICS role.
- What needs to be done to support and reinforce ICS role for a stronger multilateralism?
Greycells – GIMUN – UNOG – Young UN –Club Suisse de la Presse – Parlement des Jeunes Genevois Rotaract Geneva International – Université de Genève – Fair Internship Initiative.
SPECIAL THANKS TO
DOCUMENTS DISTRIBUTED IN THE ROOM
- CONCEPT NOTE : http://bit.ly/CONCEPTNOTE
- PROGRAM: http://bit.ly/DIALOGUEPROGRAMME
- BIO’S OF MODERATOR AND PANELISTS: http://bit.ly/BIOSMODERATORANDPANELISTS
- SYNTHESIS OF THE COMMENTS ONLINE ANONYMOUS SURVEY: http://bit.ly/IGDSYNTHESISCOMMENTS
- SYNTHESE DES SONDAGES ANONYMES EN LIGNE : http://bit.ly/IGDSYNTHESEDESSONDAGES
- GRAPHS SURVEY TO CIVIL SERVANTS: http://bit.ly/GRAPHSSURVEYCIVILSERVANTS
- GRAPHS SURVEY TO THE PUBLIC: http://bit.ly/GRAPHSSURVEYPUBLIC
- JOHN BURLEY’S SPEAKING NOTES: http://bit.ly/JohnBurleySpeakingNotes
- COMMENTAIRES YVES BEIGBEDER – EXPERT EX- WHO: http://bit.ly/CommentairesYvesBeigbeder
- YOUNG UN – NAVIGATING TO THE NEXT UN: http://bit.ly/YoungUNNavigatingtotheNextUN
- PUBLICATIONS OF THE DAG HAMMARSKJÖLD FOUNDATION: https://www.daghammarskjold.se/publications/
- 100 Years of Multilateralism in Geneva: http://bit.ly/100YearsofMultilateralisminGeneva
- Partner site: https://prestamos365.mx
Eric Drummond and His Legacies.
The League of Nations and the Beginnings of Global Governance,
by David Macfadyen, Michael D.V.Davies, Marylin Norah Carr and John Burley,
Univ. of Southampton, Palgrave Macmillan, 2019
20% DISCOUNT BOUCHER: http://bit.ly/BookDiscountBoucher
Introduction by the Moderator Mr. Pierre Ruetschi, Director, Swiss Press Club, and by Mr. Alejandro Bonilla Garcia, President of Greycells, and presentation of the results of the surveys.
PRELIMINARY PRESENTATIONS. INTERGENERATIONAL DIALOGUE
PANEL 1: Neutrality and independence of International Civil Servants. 100 years of success and failure. Individual experiences of serving and retired civil servants.
-Mr. Kari Tapiola, ex-International Labour Office;
-Mr. Todd Howland, Office of the High Commissioner of Human Rights;
-Ms. Prisca Chaoui, Executive Secretary, UNOG Staff Coordinating Council;
-Mr. Enkel Leskaj, University of Geneva, currently conducting a Master of Advanced Studies in European and International Governance;
-Ms. Arabella Comyn, Intern at the United Nations Environment Programme, Geneva, and member of Fair Internship Initiative.
Q & A ON PANEL 1:
Panel 2: What to do to support and strengthen the International Civil Service in order to defend the role of multilateralism? Practical and realistic suggestions. Discussion with the audience. Panelists:
-Mr. Richard Kozul-Wright, Director, Division on Globalization and Development Strategies, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development;
-Mr. Stephen Browne, ex-United Nations Development Programme and ex-International Trade Center;
-Mr. Per Nordlund, Programme Director, United Nations Leadership and the ICS100 series, Dag Hammarskjöld Foundation;
-Ms Nana Kurashvili, University of Geneva, currently conducting a Master of Advanced Studies in European and International Governance;
-Mr. Taner Toraman, Geneva International Model United Nations.
Q & A ON PANEL 2:
Final reflections by Ms. Manuela Tortora, Vice President of Greycells and conclusions by Mr. Alejandro Bonilla Garcia, President of Greycells.
- Presentation of the book “Eric Drummond and His Legacies. The League of Nations and the Beginnings of Global Governance”. Palgrave, 2019, by Mr. John Burley, co-author of the book. Recommended website: http://bit.ly/Episode12Multilateralism100
- Presentation of the UN Project “100 Years of Multilateralism” by Mr. Francesco Pisano, Director of the Library and Archives at the UN Office in Geneva. Recommended website: https://multilateralisme100.onug.ch/